+49 228 97735 - 678 english@discoverabroad.de
Krankenversicherungen für Reisende Weltweit Care Discover Health Insurance Flag United Kingdom Yurt dışındaki kişiler için sigorta çözümleri

Study in Germany

University entrance qualification for non-EU-citizens

University entrance qualification for non-EU-citizens

Hochschulzugang für Nicht-EU-Bürgerinnen und Nicht-EU-BürgerUniversity entry for non-EU citizens

For nationals of non-EU countries, the school-leaving certificate of the home country must correspond to the German Abitur and must confer the right to a university education in the home country.

If your school leaving certificate is comparable to the German Abitur, you can apply directly to a German university provided you have sufficient knowledge of German.

You can find out which foreign qualifications permit a university entrance in Germany by enquiring at the Central Office for Foreign Education of the Standing Conference of the German State Education Ministers (Zentralstelle für das ausländische Bildungswesen der Kultusministerkonferenz) and in the admissions database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). If your school leaving qualification does not correspond to the German Abitur or is not recognized as being equivalent to the German Abitur, you will need to pass an assessment test in order to apply for a place at a German university. The assessment test is always subject-related and different for colleges and for universities. To prepare for the assessment test you can sign up for what is generally a one-year course at a Studienkolleg (a preparatory college).

To come to Germany and study there you will need a visa. You must have applied for the visa at the German Embassy or German Consulate in your home country and have received it before traveling to Germany. The university or college applicant’s visa is valid for three months and will be issued even if you have not yet been admitted to a university or Studienkolleg. After admission to a university of college, this visa can be converted to a student visa. N.B.: If you apply for a tourist visa, this cannot be converted to a student visa! Information on current visa regulations is available from the website of the German Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

A student visa permits you to study in Germany for one year. The visa must be renewed every year and is issued only if you have an admission to a university or Studienkolleg. For this you must have health insurance cover, possess adequate German language skills, and provide evidence to the effect that you are capable of meeting your living expenses while studying.

Proof of adequate German language skills

You can usually only study in Germany if you have mastery of the German language at a certain level. Recognized language certificates include, for example:

DSH – German language test for university admission of foreign applicants (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber)
TestDaF – Test of German as a foreign language (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache)

Care Discover

Care Discover - Health insurance abroad for foreign visitors

Recent and important news

Study abroad: The advantages and disadvantages

Intercultural competence: Maybe the biggest advantage of a foreign semestre. Students can collect experiences with other cultures, other educational systems and – according to kind of the foreign semestre – with foreign companies. Such experiences with employers desires.

read more

Licensing to the German job market

The foreigners who do not own the nationality of a member state of the European Union (EU) or the European economic area (EEA) or Switzerland need for the stay in Germany for the purpose of the exercise of an employment a stay title which permits the admission of an…

read more

Care Discover – Health insurance for traveller worldwide